Saturday, December 4, 2010

4th, 5th and 6th clinic days

Today is Saturday, and I've spent the entire day in my hotel room.  Tracking back to Thursday, we were in the Rokakiri village, and saw our largest crowd yet--approx 430 people.  The day was exhausting and due to problems with acquiring food, it was nearly 10p before I could get into bed.  Friday morning, I woke up with diarrhea and some malaise, but nothing severe.  So, I headed to breakfast, and then off to our 5th clinic day site at Kaaskrolaw village.  On the way to the village, we drove on bumpy dirt roads for probably 45 minutes.  We are in Battambang province where the Khmer Rouge were very active, and used a mountain camp where thousands, including Randa Lee, were held captive in the late 70s.  Hundreds of thousands of the 3million nationwide were executed in this area including >20 of Randa's family.  In all those years, this is the first time Pastor Setan has been this close to the eery mountainside, and he is in contact with Randa answering questions about what still exists in the local area.  We arrived while the drama had already begun, and remained in the vans so as not to distract from the gospel message.  Pastor Setan told us that Nita, one of the drama team members, came to salvation in Jesus Christ approximately 1 yr ago.  This young lady is a professional actor playing the villainous on a Cambodian soap opera.  Because she is very attractive, nearly everyone in her life had unsavory motives in getting close to her.  Therefore, she quit her job, and wants to do work that is pleasing to God.  Of course, she feels very comfortable with all of the team associated with TransformAsia.  The drama is entitled the seven miracles of Christ and has drawn a sizable crowd, praise God.  We learn that there is a church work started in the village, and discipleship of new converts will be possible.  This is 1 of nearly 100 churches (many "house churches") that Pastor Setan has helped to form.

In the clinic, the day started fairly light.  Nonetheless, by lunchtime, I was lethargic and decided to take an extended break.  I pulled my designated adjusting table to a semiprivate area and tried to get some rest.  About an hour later, I was back up and seeing patients but after about 10 adjustments decided that I could not continue.  Dr Rick could certainly relate, as he had a similar episode last year.  Fortunately, he remains healthy and saw the majority of the 250 by himself.  See Dr Rick's and Kurt's blogs for further details on Friday {and especially Saturday's (6th clinic day) report}.


It was a long afternoon and long drive back to the hotel.  I was in bed by 6pm, and slept about 10 hours. By Saturday morning, I was pretty certain I'd be no use to the team today.  I attended the devotion, which is always a blessing.  Regina gave me some Cipro, bread, and her cell phone for the day.  I am feeling better this evening, and glad tomorrow is Sunday as I have another day to make a full recovery.

UPDATE:  It is Sunday morning, and praise God I am feeling much better--at least 90% better.  In about 1/2 hr, we will be going to church.

No comments:

Post a Comment